20110329

from the margins of the day planner

I.

the sun comes out.
the license plates change.
every day i wake into
the same dream.




II.
driving rhymes


the secret that we sprouted from
the things i said when i was drunk
another day without the sun
another drive alone


i hold the wheel between the pen
and cigarette.  if the road bends
i follow through.  i feel it in
my brain and in my bones.


start the songs again at 1
check my cell phone with my thumb
i miss the heat, don't miss the sun,
it just gets in my eyes.


i drive down cement pale and thin
to a house you'd like to keep me in 
and i can't hold it in my skin
i love until i cry




III.
waiting room rhymes


i love him till i almost cry
and then i almost laugh.
i broke myself in two but i 
can't bear to give you half.


it's so unfair!  your song unsung--
the pillow of the grass--
it itches me,  the feathers hung
on wings that don't unclasp


a window so the day comes on
in tiny lines of light.
a feather bed to lay upon:
the wings are spread at night.

2 comments:

  1. For ever the bending, winding
    Day break from un to known
    Looking through portal of our files
    Sorting through and creating piles
    Yes, could be trues
    No, might nots
    These, are the dazzlers
    And a corner for the fears
    A pocket full of loves
    A cup full of tears
    And the greatest of things
    Are the ways to be near
    Round the round table
    talk and hear

    ReplyDelete